Monday, January 14, 2013

THE LAST JEWS OF EASTERN HUNGARY

A good friend and long time business associate brought to my attention an interesting project underway to document the small surviving Jewish communities in Eastern Hungary.  My friend's family story and relationship to the person heading up the project is quite interesting in itself.  Please take a moment to look at this project and, if the spirit moves you, join in making a contribution toward its realization.

From: SEDOLTD
To: SEDOLTD
Sent: Sun, Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm
Subject: (no subject)


Please take a few minutes and read the content of the web page below…
 
It is a very interesting project about what is left in a small section of a country years after the Holocaust.  Even if you do not get involved, you might want to follow it as it evolves.
 
I grew up in the same region of Hungary where Ari decided to document the remnants of a once vibrant Jewish population, prior to the Holocaust.
 
I was a child during the Holocaust.  As a child, I remember the horror of my friends and their families being rounded up by the Nazis, carted off on horse drawn wagons and German military trucks, never to be seen again. 
 
Jeno Abraham, my father’s business partner and a family friend, was Jewish.  I remember when he and his family were captured and forcibly removed from their home by the Nazis. 
 
Later on, Mr. Abraham was among a contingent of slave laborers hauled through our village by the German troops.  During a small window of opportunity, my father managed to lure him and one of his friends away in order to hide and protect them.  If the two men would had been discovered hiding on our property, the penalty for such an act of humanity would have been the extermination of my entire family by firing squad.  Both men ultimately survived in our old abandoned cellar for a month, until the Russian troops arrived and liberated them.  Unfortunately, Mr. Abraham’s entire family perished in one of the Nazi concentration camps.
 
Ari is a member of our family, married to my nephew’s daughter and they live in Canada.
 
Thanks and best wishes,
 
Joe
PS: if you happen to be on any of the “social web sites”, you might want to post Ari’s web page.

 
 

Hi,

My name is Ari Tapiero, I am a photographer in Ottawa, Canada; my heart and soul is in documentary work, specifically portraits. I work with large format film cameras, 4x5 and 8x10, to get the look and detail I need.
I've been a photographer for 15 years; I've had a few exhibits, notably a solo show in Montreal, where I also produced a book to accompany the exhibit. I've also photographed a coffee-table book about the city of Ottawa.
I've been working on The Last Jews of Eastern Hungary for six months now, and I hope to return to Hungary this summer to continue work, as well as expand upon it.

Why It Matters
There are sizable, stable and growing Jewish populations in much of western Europe; but what about the east, where the Holocaust claimed the majority of its victims? What happened to the survivors and their descendants in Hungary, Ukraine, or Romania?
I got a small glimpse when I was in Miskolc, Hungary in 2010. My wife is from the town, and our daughter was born there in the summer of 2010. I found an aging, withered, but still-defiant tiny Jewish community. They had heard the war stories of their parents, and still feared for their children's future, so they did not continue in their religious traditions. Their children, grown fearful of religious reprisals, have largely gone overseas or married out-of-the-faith, and are thus unable or unwilling to make a Jewish community for themselves and their own children. The resulting sense of finality hangs heavily over this community, as their congregation slowly dies off.
 There are other places like this one in eastern Hungary, Ukraine and Romania, and I feel it important to document their existence as a kind of living museum; most of these communities will have disappeared in the next 20-30 years. The small-town eastern European Jewish community, once the backbone of a continent, is on the verge of natural extinction; eventually, only memories and recorded materials will tell us that they existed at all.
 It is of vital importance to me to be able to give a sense of what people are (and were) like and how they live as individuals and as a community, in order to preserve that memory for future generations. In essence, this is what being a photographer means to me, and it is both a great responsibility and a great honour.
 
I have completed an exploratory version of the project, you can see it here: http://www.aritapiero.com/the-last-jews-of-miskolc.html

No comments: